The March Newsletter is now available online.
Republican Senators Plan to Vote
For the Most Radical State ERA anywhere in the Country
The following Republican Senators voted Yes on SJR8, the State ERA, in 2019 and are planning to vote Yes in 2021. Their excuse was that they didn’t want to be perceived as anti-woman and be vulnerable in their campaigns. They were not worried about the future of our children, especially our girls, tax funded abortions or the devastating effects of the State ERA. They must hear from you!
MESSAGE: SJR8*, the State ERA, is not pro woman. It is anti-family, anti-woman and especially anti-girl. We want you to vote NO on SJR8*. Girls will have to compete with biological males in sports which will ruin their chances for success and scholarships. Girls’ safety and privacy will be at risk in school bathrooms, locker rooms, showers and in motel rooms on trips when transgender biological boys use those facilities. Taxpayers will also be harmed because they will have to pay for abortions. Our religious liberty will be in jeopardy if we believe in traditional marriage. We are concerned that age of consent laws that protect children from sexual predators could be overturned in the name of equality. Please Vote NO on SJR8*. (Or better yet share your own message.)
Republicans who voted YES on SJR8* ERA in 2019.
From Churchill, Douglas, Lyon, Storey: (Senate Minority Leader)
James Settelmeyer, 775-684-1470 Cell: 775-450-6114 (send a text)
From Washoe County: Heidi Gansert, 775-684-1419
From Washoe and Carson: Ben Kieckhefer, 775-684-1450
From Clark County: Scott Hammond, 775-684-1442
From Clark County: Keith Pickard, 775-684-1481
From Boulder City: Joe Hardy, 775-684-1462
New Republican Senator from Clark: Carrie Buck Please ask her to vote no on SJR8* the State ERA: 775-684-1457, Carrie.Buck@sen.state.nv.us,
Please THANK these 2 Senators for Voting NO on SJR8 the State ERA in 2019 and ask them to vote No again.
From Esmeralda, Humboldt, Lander, Mineral, Nye, Pershing, Washoe:
Ira Hansen, 775-684-1480
From Rural Clark, Elko, Eureka, Lincoln, Nye, White Pine:
Pete Goicoechea, 775-684-1447
Janine Hansen, State President Nevada Families for Freedom
Testimony on SJR8*, State ERA
What does "Equality under the law shall not be denied or abridged on account of …sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or age…” really mean?
It is important that your Legislative Intent be established.
SJR8: “RESOLVED BY THE SENATE AND ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF 17 NEVADA, JOINTLY, That a new section, designated Section 24, be 18 added to Article 1 of the Nevada Constitution to read as follows: Sec. 24. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by this State or any of its political subdivisions on account of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, ancestry or national origin.”
· Sex? The New Mexico Supreme Court unanimously agreed that their state’s ERA language mandates Taxpayer funded Abortions. Connecticut’s State ERA also means taxpayer funding of abortions. . https://www.nrlc.org/federal/era/eraoped/ Is that your intent?
· Sexual Orientation? Does this mean that those whose religion does not accept homosexuality, lesbianism and same sex marriage will lose their Religious Liberty to practice their religion in their everyday lives, in their churches, businesses, jobs and homes and in teaching their children? Notice there is no protection of Religious Freedom. Is that your intent?
· Gender Identity or expression? Does this mean your child will lose their right to privacy and be forced to share bathrooms, showers, locker rooms and motel rooms on school trips with persons who claim “a particular gender identity or expression” which is not that of their birth? Will girl’s sports be taken over by those claiming to be girl’s as their identity? Will girls lose opportunities for sports achievement and scholarships? Is that your intent?
· Age? Will this amendment eliminate “age of consent” laws which now protect our vulnerable children from sexual predators? Will seniors lose special protections now afforded to them in law in order to make them equal? Is that your intent?
We must hear from you that these are or are not your Legislative intent. Thank you.
Constitutional Amendments must pass the Legislature twice
this passed in 2019) and then go on the ballot
While the Republican Club of SCA does not take a position on issues or endorse candidates, the following is information provided for your use by our member Bill Stieren.
Dear Citizen Lobbyist:
On Tuesday, February 16, the Clark County Commission is scheduled to have a hearing to change the name of our Las Vegas Airport (LAS) from McCarran Airport to Harry Reid Airport. This is a proposal made by Commission Chair Tick Segerbloom, who this week nominated himself for State Democratic Party Chair.
Please take 5 minutes to write and send an email to the County Commissioners requesting that the County not waste precious funds of over $1.5 million to change the name of the Airport during our current economic recession in Clark County. We need to be spending our resources to counter the Covid pandemic spread not needlessly spending time and money for a name change.
Below is a sample email that you may use. Use it, parts of it or create your own.
District A, Commissioner Naft: email@example.com
District B, Commissioner Kirkpatrick: firstname.lastname@example.org
District C, Commissioner Miller: email@example.com
District D, Commissioner McCurdy: firstname.lastname@example.org
District E, Commissioner Segerblom: email@example.com
District F, Commissioner Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org
District F, Commissioner Gibson: email@example.com
Dear Commissioner (Name),
I oppose the renaming of McCarran Airport for the following reasons:
- Our country is now very divided. To name the airport after the current leader of the Democrat Party will add fuel to the fire. This will polarize voters when we need to unify.
- This would be irritating and confusing for tourists coming to Las Vegas.
- We should not be destroying statues, renaming public places, demonizing historical figures to pacify a few.
- Senator McCarran contributed greatly to the success of Nevada. A few of his accomplishments:
- He is the reason we have Nellis Air Force Base.
- He is the reason Basic Magnesium Plant was built.
- He is reason we have the City of Henderson.
- He is the reason the Air Force is its own branch of the service.
- He required the U.S. Mint to produce silver dollars in support of our mining industry.
- He championed worker's rights.
- He co-authored a bill that led to the Federal Aviation Administration.
- The derogatory recollections that have recently surfaced are minor compared to his accomplishments. They have been exaggerated to support a political favor.
- With the current budget shortfalls in government and our voter’s pockets this is an unnecessary expense for taxpayers and the private businesses linked to the airport.
- There is no benefit to this action. It will not make people happier, more prosperous, prouder of their public officials.... nothing.
- This was proposed in the past and very unpopular with Nevadans.
- It will cost multiple millions for all the other organizations that will need to change navigation charts, marketing firms promoting Las Vegas and others.
- It would be extremely expensive.
The newsletter is now available on line. See this issue for important information!